The Communication Department of the Faculty of Social and Political Sciences, Universitas Indonesia, was founded on 12 December 1959 as the Publicistic Department under the Faculty of Law and Societal Sciences of Universitas Indonesia. With the separation of the Societal Sciences departments from the Faculty of Law and Societal Sciences into an independent Faculty in 1969, the Publicistic Department also moved to the new Faculty.
When the faculty was renamed Faculty of Social Sciences, the department was renamed Mass Communication Department, and was renamed again as Communication Department in 1982 as the faculty was renamed Faculty of Social and Political Sciences.
In its development, the institution’s name changed several times, from Publicistic Department, Mass Communication Department, and finally into Communication Department. The Indonesian term also changes from jurusan to departemen, back to jurusan and again to departemen.
As Universitas Indonesia changed its status into a State-owned Legal Entity, the Communication jurusan was changed into a departemen. Since 2000, Communication Department managed learning in the Diploma III (founded in 1997 and closed in 2007), Undergraduate and Graduate (founded in 1987) consisting of Master and Doctoral programs. In the Undergraduate Program, the Extension Program was opened in 1995 and closed in 2012, while the Parallel and International Special Programs were opened in 2010.